Volunteering at the Clarke Foley Centre
As well as the small staff team the Clarke Foley Centre relies on a large band of volunteers who support its work.
Our volunteers are essential to the successful running of the Centre.
“But the Clarke Foley Centre is a day care centre for old people….” Wrong!
The Clarke Foley Centre is a community resource providing facilities for recreation, education, and other leisure time occupations for people over 50. It is also very widely used by people of all ages and by many local clubs, groups and societies. It hosts a wide range of courses, events and meetings. It is a focal point for voluntary acticities in the community and for the voluntary efforts given for those who may be disadvantaged. The Centre also has a number of rooms, large and small, available for private hire.
In the last twelve months the Centre has hosted a spectacular Flower Festival, French classes, U13A meetings, art classes, Weightwatchers, weekly lunch clubs for people over 70, New Horizons’ Orchestra, Recorder Group, geology classes, concerts, lectures, Ilkley Literature Festival events, Dance Festival, Tour de France events, private parties…
We welcome volunteers from all walks of life who give their time, unpaid, to get involved with the work of the Centre.
Volunteers take an active role in running the Centre; working in the cafe; leading courses and classes; providing the weekly Lunch Clubs, working in the office and fund raising.
We also offer opportunities for individuals looking for work experience, skills development and confidence building….or people who just want to try something new!
The contribution our volunteers make is greatly appreciated. We will do the best we can to make your volunteer experience with us enjoyable and rewarding.
No matter how much time you can give, whether it’s a lot or a little, we would love to hear from you.
Come and find out more, contact Judith Ellis (Centre Manager), telephone 01943 607016, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Come and join the team. You will be welcome.
The Clarke Foley Centre has a team of over 90 volunteers. Volunteers are vital to the existence of the Clarke Foley Centre. At present our volunteers:
- Run almost all our own classes and groups; if there’s a subject you’d like to lead on please talk to the Centre Manager. If there’s a class you’d like to see happen at the Centre, please talk to the Centre Manager;
- Prepare and serve lunch for the Lunch Club. People help in all sorts of ways. Some cook a meal from basic ingredients, using their favourite stew, pie or pudding recipe. Some use pre-prepared ingredients and coordinate the meal. Others help with serving and washing up. Ingredients are bought by the Café managers who are overall responsible for the meal but there is every opportunity to do as much or as little as you wish;
- Bake or cook for the café. We can sell only goods that are either produced on our premises in accordance with food hygiene regulations or are supplied by a recognised supplier. We encourage ‘home baking’ and ‘home-made’ soup is very popular. We would be pleased to hear from people with ideas for summer meals;
- Serve in the café. The café serves hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, cakes and home-made soup;
- Help with all aspects of social and fundraising events. This includes organising and publicising, news releases, preparing the venues, catering, running the event, etc;
- Sort and price the books and jigsaws for sale. We have a constant turnover of books and puzzles producing a small but regular income;
- Maintain the internal noticeboard;
- Provide clerical assistance in the office. There is always office work to be done and people with specific expertise (such as fundraising, bookkeeping, literature production etc) would be welcome. At present we lack office space for additional people to work on site but it may be possible for someone with the right skills and equipment to work from home.
Please click HERE to request more information about volunteering.